07. 21. 2013

Today’s post is dedicated to my mother-in-law (congrats, Cindy). As a regular reader of my blog, she tries to up her style quotient by following my lead. Recently she showed me an outfit she wore after seeing all the times I’ve worn different prints together. It wasn’t pretty, people.

Apparently I had not given enough step-by-step guidance on how to choose two prints that actually look good together.After recoiling in horror at the bad outfit I had inspired, I decided I just couldn’t live with this on my conscience. So for Cindy and anyone else who needs tips on how to pull off the print mixing trend, here are a few tips and handy visuals to get you on the right track.

Note: Since this blog is all about real-life style, I’m taking a conservative approach with these tips. If you live in a fashion-forward city or work in a non-traditional office, feel free to scoff at my silly little rules!

Tip #1: Look for corresponding colors

Print Mixing Tip 1

Tip #2: To play it safe, don’t put prints side-by-side

Print Mixing Tip 2

Tip #3: Start with a neutral-colored print

Print Mixing Tip 3

Tip #4: Consider the scale of the prints

Print Mixing Tip 4

BLOGLOVIN’ | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM

18 responses to “4 Tips for Proper Print Mixing”

1. Texas Tamie says:

I think you did a great job here! Excellent advice.

2. Ashleigh says:

I like the bottom one with the floral pants. Print mixing is busy business. I like the add a neutral suggestiong.

3. Great post!!! Mind if I share? I love how you broke it down with examples. Print mixing is tricky.

~Jamie

4. Great Post! Mixing prints is really hit or miss sometimes! These are great tips to live by! (wanderinginheels.com)

5. The Bow Ho says:

This is so helpful! I love to mix floral with stripes!

6. Great tips! Pattern mixing is one of those trends that has gone mainstream enough that everything thinks they can just got for it… but they should definitely have a little bit of guidance! ha
    xx
    Here&Now
    Enter my $50 J.Crew giftcard giveaway!

7. Deanna says:

Love your ideas; although you are much younger than me, I am able to use some of your great ideas. I just love fashion and I spend a few hours a week looking at Pinterest app and buy many fashion magazines to satisfy my hobby. I proud to say I’m 65 years young and dress better at this age than I did when I was younger, thanks to blogs like yours. keep up the great work!

8. G says:

this is such great advice! i’ve always been so scared to mix prints, but now i think i might give it a try! thanks!

love,

9. Kacie Cone says:

Love this! Such lovely tips!

10. AJ says:

Great tips and cute outfits (the yes ones, not the no ones!)

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

11. Annamarie says:

This is really good advice.

12. shirarosen88 says:

Totally agree- your link IS the best from links a la mode:) Amazing job and agree with every point you make here:) What collage/editor thing do you use to make these images?

13. A very nice presentation. I’ve been seeing a lot of bad triple floral mixing lately. Just because they’re flowers, it doesn’t mean they match!

14. […] prints can be tricky. These tips and handy visuals from Sarah’s Real Life will get you on the right […]